Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Turtleneck Shrug Scarf

Turtleneck Shrug Scarf
Scarf Style: Innovative to Traditional, 31 Inspirational Styles to Knit and Crochet,
by Pam Allen (Editor)

Also, check out the knit along blog site for Scarf Style. http://scarfstyle.blogspot.com/ You can search for Shrug Scarf and see the beautiful works of others! I just might need to post my creation when I am finished.

So, I have started my very first double pointed needle project, the Turtleneck Shrug Scarf from Scarf Style. Erin gave me the book for Christmas this year and I love it!! I am making the project using Nashua Creative Focus Worsted, Soft Pink US size 7 double points. The yarn is yummy and a great pinky-purplish color. I love the color because it isn’t baby pink, but a mature pink that is soft but rich.

I will admit, I almost gave up my needles on this one. I had no idea how to start on double points and no matter how much I read or watched. On the advice of Erin, I went to www.knittinghelp.com to see the video. I must have watched it two dozen times and still didn’t get it! For whatever reason, it just didn’t make sense to me.

One evening after I started to cast on for the 5th time (I ripped and started over 4 times previously because it just wasn’t right.) I threw down my project and went to bed. I had a plan, the following morning I would gather all my knitting needles, books and other supplies together and give them away. They deserved better! They deserved to be in the hands of a real knitter!! Not me, a hack knitter who couldn’t do it, couldn’t use double points, couldn’t cast on and couldn’t handle a simple knit2,purl2 pattern. It was clear that I could not knit – I would let go of the idea that I could and go back to my crochet hooks.

The following morning the first thought I had was, “It’s no wonder you can’t knit, with that attitude! – YOU CAN DO IT, it is only yarn and needles, don’t take yourself so seriously Liz, lighten up!!” And guess what, I did. I started fresh, for the 6th time. And what do you know, I cast on without an issue, I lined up my edges, no problem, I joined the round by incorporating the tail for the first two stitches, and before I knew it, I was two inches into my project! It was taking shape, taking life, I was knitting in the round and building my Turtleneck Shrug Scarf, I fondly refer to as my “tube scarf”. I was doing it, and so very proud of myself!

Well, half way up the first sleeve I realized, I must not have enough yarn. I checked and sure enough, not enough. I calculated my yarn by weight, not yardage. Oh no, what to do. I called Knitterly (#1 4th St, Petaluma, CA 94952 707-762-YARN, www.knitterly.net) where I purchased the yarn, they were out of my color. I called the local shop in Novato, and she had the yarn but not the exact dye lot. I went to pick it up and whew, it was super close no one will even know. Whew I just barely escaped having to start over again!!

I am just about 20” into my first sleeve. I got slowed down because I had “handcuffs” to knit last week. I have a little trepidation when it comes to binding off to go flat for the shoulders and then the 2nd sleeve and the turtleneck and picking up stitches, but I will keep the faith and keep trying! I have to admit the more I stretch myself and the more I believe I can learn at 45, the more fun I am having!! ;-)Liz

No comments: