Monday, February 05, 2007

Finger Knitting

Finger knitting? I first heard of finger knitting on Knitty Gritty (DIY Network). Nicole (5) was instantly excited - yes, she watches Knitty Gritty too! Anyway, we pulled out a little washable yarn from my stash and before I knew it, she was finger knitting. The funny thing is the scarf is really nice! It forms sort a roundish tube, and looks really nice. The fluffier and bulkier the yarn, the nicer it looks.

Later I found instructions on a website. Finger Knitting for children http://www.maggiesrags.com/tips_fingerknit.htm

The nice thing about finger knitting is the child has a product in less than an hour, and they feel so proud of themself. Nicole is making scarves for everyone she knows now!

Below are pictures of her first scraf - made from a bulky Lion Brand yarn. I took a crochet hook and some novelty yarn to add the fluff at the bottom - I just wove the yarn in between the finger-knitted stitches, no real pattern to make the fluff.


The scarf is starting to form..... it grows out the back of the hand - like Magic!
Before we knew it - the yarn became a scarf!!

Nicole wears her scarf every day to school, it also doubles as a belt!! ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you would like crocheting with fabric. You can take a look at http://www.ruglady.net to find out more information about this cool craft. Great Blog!