Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Good Stash


When Charlie bought my Ashford Traditional spinning wheel for me for my birthday, the seller Carolina Homespun in San Francisco sent me a huge ball of beautiful Corriedale wool as a gift. I span 4 bobbins already, but the ball still weighs 1 pound and 8 ounces. Soft, clean and long fiber -- I'm sure this is too good for my skills right now, but it sure makes learning fun.

I didn't spin for a week after the two hunks of the cheap felting wool. I took out my wheel and the Corriedale, and I was amazed at how easy it felt. Look how nice and even! I am so pleased. Spinning is so wonderful -- once you get started, it's hard to stop.

Anyway, the generosity of Carolina Homespun has made a loyal customer in Novato. I ordered some bobbins, wheel parts, and a pound of.... Alpaca.
This is just about the softest thing I've ever touched.


There's no guard hair. Phew -- I was a bit worried because the price is so good.
And, no, I'm not spinning this yet. I have lots of practice to do before I'd even think about it.

I have more than a pound of Corriedale, 0.5 pound of beautifully dyed wool that I bought at Sebastopol Apple Fair, and a hunk of another dyed wool that came from Carolina Home Spun. I have acquired a nice stash.

I have to start thinking about using the spun yarn...

Here's my progress on Moll. About a skein worth (100g) of Knit Picks Sierra.


I have made an error -- but I am not going to frog this. I won't know if the error would be devastating or not until I construct the sweater. I don't even want to explain what I did (or didn't do) for a while. But, isn't it pretty?


My lace sock is progressing well, thanks to the terrible commute in the morning. I hope the Smart Train measure passes. Can't wait for the day that I get to knit on the train and complain that I only got 4 rounds done!


Naomi says that she really enjoyed the Knit Night, and she finished that sock over the weekend! Now she's on the search for the next project. Liz too has an exciting news, and this one is not related to knitting. Can't wait to hear more about it on the next Knit Night!!

No comments: