Sunday, January 07, 2007

Real Men

I found this video on Claudia's blog, and just had to share it.



(The second video "Real Men Weave" on Claudia's blog is pretty amazing too!)
What cracked me up was the picture of two young kids (about 9 or 10?) knitting in the car, so casually, without even looking at their hands. Wouldn't you expect to see a couple of Nintendo DSs in their hands instead?
On the flight back from the Las Cruces trip (I think it was the LAX - OAK leg), I saw a young guy (in his 20's) coming on board with a scarf-like project on yellow acrylic big needles in his hands. Maybe knitting among men is catching up. My son (3 1/2 years old) has been bugging me to teach him how to knit for some time now.

I am looking for a pattern for fingerless mittens to knit with my handspun romney. I love both Wine and Roses Mitts by Jolene Treace and Fetching fingerless gloves by Cheryl Niamath, but my handspun is much thinner than what's specified for Fetching (DB Cashmerino Aran). And it's multi-colored, and I don't think Wine and Roses would look as charming in it. If you know of a pattern that uses sport-weight yarn, and fairly simple (cables are fine, but not much lace patterns), please let me know.... I need to spin a little more so I have some time before getting more desperate.

No comments: