Saturday, December 16, 2006

Crazy Week, Holiday Knit Night

Look, ma! Another pair of socks.



Sock number 9. Will I shoot for 10 for the number for 2006? I'm not sure yet....

These are done in Lorna's Laces, worsted, Blackwatch. I know I said this before, but I love the yarn. Now I'm a big fan of Lorna's Laces. The problem is that the colorways are so beautiful, I just can't think about doing any patterns -- so without much hesitation, I go with the vanilla pattern. Pretty, but so boring to knit! It's a lot to do with my personality, but I won't go into that today. Oh yeah, I used just one hunk to do these pair. When I was done, I had about two meters of yarn left. Phew...

It was a crazy couple of weeks at work. It's a lovely time of the year to do a reorganization -- my position is spared (I actually have a mixed feeling about that), but it will have a dramatic changes in the coming months with regards to the reporting structure and the extent of responsibilities. I am not thrilled about it, and I am losing sleep over it. I try not to think about it until next year.

So you see, I am glad that I (and the boys -- they now look forward to Knit Night as much as I do) went to Knit Night at Erin's last night -- BKN (Before Knit Night), I'd have just lie on the couch and brood about how exhausted/stressed/bummed I am. Instead, now I have friends to see, thoughts to share, laugh together and let it all go, all as we work on something wearable. This is way healthier.

We had an unplanned holiday gift exchange. And I got an extra!

This is a hat knitted by Liz -- if I'm right, this is her Finished Object Number 1! It's done in Noro, and I think it's beautiful, but Liz thinks it's ugly. Her family, even Little Nicole, makes fun on it. So Liz was about to throw it away -- I took it.

Honestly I think it's lovely, and it fits me perfectly. I have some trips to cold climates coming up, so this will come very handy. I will wear this. But I will also keep in mind that there may be a family laughing at me for wearing it -- Thank you Liz! I will call it Liz's Happy Hat.

Since I was project-less (see, I'm still totally avoiding to work on Moll), I wound up the "Cheap Felting Wool Yarn" that I spun a while ago, and started a hat. (Well, I didn't know I was going to get an already-knitted hat!)

This is the first time I tried knitting the yarn I spun! I'm not sure if I should have waited until I had my Corriedale yarn ready for something, but I can't decide what to do with them yet -- dye or not to dye, what color, what kind of dye, what to knit -- just way too many things to decide. They'll have to wait until I have some spare brain cells.

Here's first couple inches... Before deciding that I need to use bigger needles.

Nobby, bumpy and felty (it's spun felting wool after all), but I really like it. There's definitely something to creating something from just a couple-handful of fluffs.

Mitch shows off his drawing. "Look, Mom. Yarn!" I'm so proud of him.

With lots of Holiday activities and travel plans coming up with all of the knitters, we are not sure when we'll get together next time. Ladies, if I don't see you before Christmas, Happy Holidays to you and your family -- I really enjoyed being with you this year, and appreciate your friendship. I love you all!

No comments: