Monday, August 21, 2006




I went through the weekend without opening my laptop for a change, and this is what happens! This is way cool. Thank you Erin for setting this up!

My name is Tamami, and thanks to Erin I came back to knitting after nearly twenty years of not touching the knitting needles. Last winter, Erin started to talk about how she'd been really into knitting, and then I came across the old box with full of yarn I shipped from Japan when I moved here -- it was sitting in the garage for all these years! I picked up a ball of blue yarn and knitted up a vest for my son in two evenings, and then I'm totally addicted.

Here's my son Mitch, then 2 & 1/2 years old, wearing the vest. Can you tell that I ran out of the yarn? I got a darker blue yarn from a local yarn shop and used that to do the right shoulder and the edging. I like how it turned out, considering that I did it without a pattern -- but I couldn't impress my son. After this photo shoot, he took it off, handed it to me, and off went playing Nintendo DS :-(

Since then I knitted numerous children/babies' hats, scarves, a cotton summer sweater for myself, two and a half pairs of socks, and now I'm on the Lotus Blossom Tank on Interweave Knits, Summer 2006.

I'm done with the shoulder part, and I plan to press it tonight and maybe sew them on. Before I can do that, I have to bathe my son and put him to bed.

This is by far the most complicated, challenging project I've ever done. I know it will come out a bit too short, and the first row of the lace pattern is all messed up (I'd never done lace before this), I'm still happy -- well, I hope I will be, when I'm all done!

I had a rough day at work today -- nothing new, it's been like this for several weeks. While going through two hundred emails, running around trying to fix things that are broken, I dream of the day I can quit my day job and spend the days knitting.... Sigh.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I just acquired a spinning wheel? I will have a whole series of Show and Tell on spinning already, but I'll save it for some other time.

Thank you Erin for setting this up -- I love having a blog finally! I really enjoy the Knit Nights, and I look forward to our next meeting. Ladies, I hope your week is happy!

No comments: