Wednesday, September 05, 2007

One Year

It's been a year since we started Knit Night. We haven't been able to get together as much, with Liz moving away, and everyone being busy for the summer. But it has been something we all enjoyed and looked forward to for the last year.

Last weekend, Erin, Liz and I planned a Girl's Night Out -- that's actually a first for us to get out of the house to knit on a Friday night. Huguette was back east, visiting her parents. Liz got sick from food poisoning, so it was just Erin and me. Had great dinner by the pool at a local hotel, then knitted in the hotel lobby. Oh yeah, this is nice. Erin gave me two skeins of Koigu -- these are my first Koigu! -- and a skein of kettle-dyed yellow sock yarn. I'd mentioned before that it's hard to find yellow sock yarn. She remembered!

And at the lobby I casted on a new project, Askew, from Knitty.com.

This is something I wanted to knit since June or so... Had the yarn ready too. I don't know what I was waiting for -- summer is over already! But since I probably won't be wearing this as a tank top (no matching physique!), but as a vest, it's not too late.

It goes fast -- I'm done with the two pieces for the front. What worries me is that they are way too narrow right now before blocking. The pattern says that it has to be stretched width-wise when blocked. I'm hoping that it works out...

It's been a year since I started spinning. Nancy gave me a spinning lesson on August 26th, 2006, and ever since my wheel hasn't stopped! Both Nancy and the spinner I met at the Sonoma County Fair told me that I'd be making some beautiful yarn in a year. I'm not sure if I'm there yet, but I have been pretty happy with the yarn I spin. My next challenge is to visualize a knitted item before I start spinning!

A confession. I said before that I'd only go to two more fiber fairs and that'd be the only times that I buy fiber for the rest of the year. Un huh, I lied.

Deep Color Studio is closing the store front -- there will still be classes -- and there was a closing sale. Had to go! I got two silk cap (hankies), above.

Two hunks of brown corriedale.

Hemp! I'm excited to try some new fibers.

And a pound of white merino. Some natural dyes. Sigh... and California Fiber Festival awaits next weekend. Maybe I shouldn't go :-(

No comments: